Can FineReader recognize text that contains unusual symbols (pictograms, the © and ® symbols, etc.)?
FineReader PDF can be trained to recognize all Unicode symbols. To recognize text with uncommon Unicode symbols, follow the instructions below.
1. Create a new language and add all the necessary symbols to its alphabet:
- Open ABBYY FineReader PDF.
- Go to Tools > Options > Languages.
- Click the New button.
- Select the language of the text you need to recognize as the base language and click OK.
- Click on ... button next to Alphabet.
- Add new symbols to the new language and click OK.
- Enter the name for the new language and click OK.
2. Train FineReader to recognize the new symbols:
- Select the new language as the language of the current document.
- Go to Tools > Options > OCR.
- Select Use training to recognize new characters and ligatures option. Tick on also Use built-in patterns.
- Click OK.
- In menu select Recognize > Recognize All Pages (or Recognize Page) to run recognition.
Note: This article corresponds to FineReader PDF for Windows. If you have the same question regarding ABBYY FineReader for Mac you can find the article here.
Where is the "read button"? The last step implies we know what it is, but I haven't run across it. I see a button for recognize.
Thank you for your comment! I`ve corrected the instruction in the article for the current product version - FineReader PDF 15.
I'm trying to teach Abbyy Finereader 15 to recognize polytonic Greek. After pressing . . . I don't see any way to insert a new symbol. What am I doing wrong?
Hi Michael Abernathy,
I have created a support ticket based on the issue described. Please await a reply in the ticket.
I have the same problem as Michael Abernathy, when I create a new language, I do not have the alphabet button but if I click on the "properties" button, I access the "group of languages properties" window and then, I click the "advanced" button. I access a set of characters but on I click on a new character that I would like to add, nothing happens... Is it a bug? How should I proceed then?
Thanks in advance!
Please sign in to leave a comment.