How to install FineReader PDF on a Terminal Server?
Concurrent or Remote User license(s) holders can install the FineReader PDF program on a Terminal Server.
The Administrator's Guide describes how to install Concurrent and Remote User licenses on a terminal server(s) to which users will connect remotely to run FineReader PDF. The product should be installed on a terminal server(s) like on a workstation(s).
To install FineReader PDF on a Terminal Server, please follow the steps below:
- Use the previously provided distribution kit or request it by contacting the Customer Support team.
Run the downloaded file on a computer/server where the License Server will be installed. An administrative installation point can be created on the same server.
The License Server and the License Manager can be installed on any computer in the local area network.
Important! A License Server should be deployed on a computer/server that is permanently accessible from all terminal server(s) used for running FineReader PDF.
The distributive package will be extracted from the archive to a temporary folder (by default it's C:\temp\FR16). Please check before that, if this folder C:\temp\FR16 already exists, please remove it first.
- After the distributive package is extracted, wait for it to start automatically the Autorun wizard or run the AutoRun.exe file from the folder (C:\temp\FR16).
- Click Mass Installation > Install and activate using the License Manager.
- Follow the instructions of the Installation Wizard:
Step 1. Install the License Server and the License Manager
During setup, please use:
Create ABBYY FineReader 16 License Server - installs FineReader License Server and FineReader License Manager. The License Server and the License Manager will be installed on the same computer. There is an option to specify the folder path where the License Manager application should be installed.
Important! Add your license(s) to the License Manager before you start FineReader PDF on the terminal server(s) (the program installed on the terminal server(s) will receive the license from the License Manager, not from the ABBYY server).
Step 2. Create an administrative installation point
When the setup program requests, specify the following:
- The name of the computer where the License Server was installed on Step 1.
- The UNC path to the administrative installation folder - use a path like \\ServerName\FR16SRV to a shared folder ("FR16SRV" in this example). Create this shared folder before installation.
Important! Avoid moving the administrative installation folder after FineReader PDF is installed on the terminal server(s).
- Install FineReader PDF onto the terminal server(s) from the administrative installation point (for interactive installation run Setup.exe from the administrative installation folder - open this folder from the terminal server, find Setup.exe, and run it (please use the path like \\ServerName\FR16SRV\Setup.exe as for this example).
Restart the Licensing Services on the server (where the License Server is installed):
7.1. Press the Windows+R buttons.
7.2. Type services.msc and press Enter.
7.3. Find the ABBYY FineReader Licensing Service in the list of services.
7.4. Right-click the service and select Restart from the shortcut menu.
Important! To create a master image for further cloning, please use only the client part of the software - the terminal server where FineReader PDF was installed from the administrative installation point (\\ServerName\FR16SRV\Setup.exe as for this example) before running FineReader PDF on this terminal server. It's important for the Remote User license, as this license is assigned to a specific user after the first run.
Please do not log in under the same remote user to several Terminal servers at the same time.
- Try to run FineReader PDF on the terminal server and check whether the license is obtained correctly (no local activation is required, the license should be received from the License Manager).
Repeat p. 6 and 8 for each terminal server or clone systems/servers from the master image.